Sharpening Specialist Posting
Sharpening Specialist - Full Time
Looking to join a family of like-minded individuals that love the game of hockey?
The Hockey Shop Source for Sports is looking to fill full time positions to take customer service in our Sharpening / Repair Department to the next level.
The Skate Sharpening Department is the back bone of our business and plays a critical role in our success as a company. Strong work ethic, attention to detail, and the ability to communicate well with other members of our team are required to excel at this position.
Our company is growing quickly so your job will be fast paced and constantly evolving. We’re looking for someone who is highly motivated and hard-working as we value these characteristics - often over career experience. The ideal Hockey Shop team member can draw on first hand experiences to problem solve and bring a winning attitude to our team.
We’re looking for somebody who:
- Will work with our current team to help develop initiatives that improve customer service and department efficiencies. We’re looking at taking our store to the next level and your input towards improvements will be valued.
- Recognizes the attention to detail that is required for both repairs and sharpening.
- Will ensure that customer service is always priority #1.
- Has previous experience sharpening skates. Although it is not mandatory, it is most definitely an asset.
- Has a good understanding of the game of hockey and the equipment. Although it’s not mandatory to have a hockey background it will definitely help if you love the game as much as we do.
- Is able to draw on first-hand expertise and experiences to provide the best solutions to a variety of challenges and projects.
- Will apply yourself to learn our store systems inside and out.
- Provide thoughtful, strategic insight regarding improvements that can be implemented to our existing systems.
- Has achieved a high school education and a good command of English, both written and orally.
Here’s what we bring to the table:
- We value work ethic, honesty, and a positive attitude- often over career experience.
- Investing in our team members to help them evolve in their roles with our company. Helping our employees develop skills to assist them in their current role and continue to develop them for their future.
- Enable our employees to use their judgment to make the best decisions on behalf of our company.
- Believe it’s critical for our staff’s roles to evolve and include challenging projects.
- Work hard because we love what we’re doing, but we also believe in balance. We provide a work environment that is fun, has awesome co-workers,and a family atmosphere.
- Respect the work/life balance that today's workers want.
- Provide competitive compensation and a benefits package.
- Offer flexible scheduling.
- Will promote employees to job openings within the company if they are qualified.
- Have a great staff discount program for all the latest gear.
- Interact with customers on a daily basis during the drop off a picking up of skates
- Educate the consumer of the advantages specific sharpening technique, custom radius's, etc..
- Apprentice under head sharpener Cecil Weir to perfect your sharpening skills.
- Tackle basic equipment repairs on a daily basis.
- Provide feedback regarding improvements, efficiencies.
- Assist the sales floor and answer phone calls when necessary.
- Don’t be good, be great!
The Hockey Shop is Western Canada’s largest independent hockey retailer. We’re a family owned and operated store that currently consists of a team of 55 engaged team members…and we’re growing (that’s where you come in). We’re also a proud member of Source for Sports, a national buying group with over 160 independently owned stores across Canada.
How To Apply:
At The Hockey Shop, we pride ourselves on our jobs being an extension of our lifestyle, with a flexible schedule of work and play. If you are interested in the above position and would like to become a member of our team please email email@example.com and we will reply with an application you can include with your resume.